Saturday, May 21, 2011

Trial Kimonos


Lots done today.

I managed to print a few proofs of the kimono print.

While not quite what I envisioned, it is striking enough that I had to pause to decide what will stay and what will go.

The blossoms are WAY too Pink/Mauve and will need to be much paler and more glowing.
But it's the stripes in the background that I'm not sure of....I was afraid the pale simple background would be too still so I didn't totally clear the block. Since they are on the same block as the body of the kimono (blue) I'm a bit tethered as to how light and subtle I can make them and still make the kimono silk the right blue.
I printed up four variants. I can see some adjustments that need to be made to the keyblock and I'll still need to carve one more block I think.

I have a busy week of work so I'll mull this over before making any changes.

6 comments:

  1. I like them both for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bit of a tug-of-war; on the one hand, I'd like to make something striking and beautiful--the goal after all is to sell a bunch of these to raise money...
    vs. adding some depth and content to reflect the immensity of what has happened and how it will/has affect us.

    These are supposed to be cherry blossoms, shaken off the branches into the water below...
    but they're also atoms, spinning off glowing petals...

    Not sure if any of that will come across in the finished print though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beyond the details and intent, as it were, I find the composition pleasing and attractive. Balanced enough to feel inviting with a-symmetries to keep it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it's quite pleasing and attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both but more the 2nd one with the last plane lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sooo impressed with your baren wrapping! It looks just as good as new. I'm not ever photographing mine. I love the kimono and the top one definitely has more drama. It seems to float above the background which makes it mystical and magical.

    ReplyDelete